top of page


Frequently Asked Questions


The Law Office of Lee Meadows offers decades of experience in law.  Our consultative approach is designed to help our clients feel like they have an ally in their legal defense.

When You Have Questions, The Law Office Of Lee Meadows Has Answers.


Many times, our clients come to us filled with worry regarding their DUI or criminal charge. We’re here to help. While we offer answers to some commonly asked questions below, the best favor you can do for yourself is to contact us for a consultation.

  • What penalties am I facing if I am convicted?
    Some possible penalties of a DUI conviction are driver’s license suspension, DUI School, a Victim Awareness Program, alcohol checks, court-ordered counseling, vehicle impoundment and/or ignition interlock, an alcohol monitoring (SCRAM) bracelet, probation, and fines. If you have a prior DUI conviction on your record, you may also face jail time. You may or may not be adjudicated guilty. Many times, our office can negotiate an “adjudication withheld” so that you do not have a criminal conviction on your record. In that case, you are usually eligible for a criminal record sealing. It is important to have an experienced attorney on your side. Contact us for your free case evaluation.
  • What other consequences am I facing if I have a DUI on my record?
    In addition to court-imposed penalties, you may also face increased car insurance premiums, the loss of your job or difficulty obtaining employment later in life, student disciplinary proceedings, and financial and emotional burden on your family and friends.
  • How long will it take to resolve my case?
    Most cases take approximately 4 months to be resolved. It may be shorter, or it may take longer depending on the complexity of your case, and whether you decide to accept a plea offer. Cases may take a year or more if there are multiple charges, there are driver’s license issues separate from the criminal case, or there were extenuating circumstances such as property damage or injury.
  • How much will it cost?
    There are many court costs and fees associated with a DUI. If you are convicted, the court costs are $990. DUI school will cost between $250-$450, depending on which level you need. There are also costs associated with probation, vehicle immobilization, alcohol monitoring, and reinstating your driver’s license. The cost to hire an attorney will vary depending on the complexity of your case. The first consultation is always free. Contact us to schedule your free case evaluation.
  • How long will my driver’s license be suspended?
    The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has the authority to suspend your driver’s license, and the court will add a separate suspension if you are convicted. The length of the suspensions depends on several factors, including whether you submitted to chemical testing (breath, blood, or urine) and whether this is your first DUI. Read more about driver’s license suspensions, or contact us for your free case evaluation.
  • Can I drink alcohol during my case?
    No. In order to be released from jail, you signed an agreement (“pretrial release”) to abstain from alcohol as well as any criminal activity until the completion of your case. This means that if you consume ANY alcohol or commit any crime before your court case is over, you can be arrested. When this occurs, the State Attorney’s Office often will not agree to your re-release. Our office recommends that you completely abstain from alcohol until your criminal case is complete.
  • Will I be subject to drug testing?
    If you were arrested on suspicion of Driving Under the Influence of drugs rather than alcohol, drug testing may be required as part of your release from jail. In the event that you test positive for drugs, you are in violation of your pretrial release and you may be placed under arrest.
  • What is the best way to contact your office?
    Our office email address is Please click here to contact us via email. You can also call us at (850) 224-8873, or toll free at (800) 681-0139. Our office is located at: 403 North Calhoun Street Tallahassee, Florida 32301 Regretfully, appointments are necessary for all office visits.
  • How do I remove my mug shot from the internet?
    You can usually pay to have your mug shot removed from each site, but this can be time-consuming and expensive. Once your case is complete, you may be eligible for a criminal record sealing or expunction, which will allow you to have your criminal history hidden from most public records. Our office can help you will every aspect of record sealing and expungement.


(850) 224-8873

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page