FLORIDA’S DUI SPECIAL SUPERVISION SERVICES PROGRAM
We Can Help!
The Law Office of Lee Meadows has over 36 years assisting people needing guidance regarding the Special Supervision Services program.
Florida law allows individuals with 5 year, 10 year, and permanent revocations to apply for DUI Special Supervision Services. This is a zero-tolerance program and use of drugs or alcohol is prohibited, except prescribed medication taken as directed.
The Division of Driver Licenses (DMV), has the full statutory responsibility of granting the restricted driver license to the applicant. Registration in the DUI Special Supervision Services does not imply in any way that the Division of Driver Licenses will issue the restricted driver license to the applicant. Please see below for related details regarding the Special Supervision Program.
- An applicant with a revocation of 5 years must wait until the expiration of twelve (12) months after the date the revocation was imposed as a prerequisite to admission into the program and must not have driven within the twelve (12) months prior to reinstatement. An applicant with a revocation of 5 years must not have used any drugs for at least the past twelve (12) months. Drugs include alcohol and those non-alcoholic beers or wines which contain less than .5% of alcohol.
- An applicant with a revocation of 10 years, except those under revocation, must wait at least twenty-four (24) months as a prerequisite to admission into the program and must not have driven within the twelve (12) months prior to reinstatement. An applicant with a revocation of 10 years, except those under permanent revocation, must not have used any drugs or alcohol for at least the past twelve (12) months. Drugs include alcohol and non-alcoholic beers or wines which contain less than .5% of alcohol.
- Individuals under permanent license revocation for four or more DUI convictions for DUI Manslaughter with a prior DUI conviction or for murder resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle must wait 5 years prior to application and after conviction or release from incarceration whichever occurs last. No driving for past 5 years prior to application and after conviction or release from incarceration, whichever occurs last. No drinking (including non-alcoholic beers and wines) for past 5 years prior to application and after conviction or release from incarceration. No mind-altering drugs, inhalants, non-prescribed prescription drugs, or abuse of over the counter drugs or prescriptions.
- Under section 322.271 Florida Statutes, the DHSMV, Division of Driver Licenses, will perform a field investigation regarding the Special Supervision applicant driving and drinking behaviors, and that the results of this investigation shall be considered by the DHSMV to determine if any restricted driver license/permit shall be issued.
- An applicant shall be evaluated and supervised by the DUI program which serves the county in which the applicant resides, the county in which the applicant is employed, or the county in which the applicant attends school.
- Forms requesting information for entrance into the DUI Special Supervision Services, and any subsequent forms will be required to be filled out in their entirety.
- Supervision of the DUI Special Supervision Services by Florida law for the remaining period of the driver license revocation with the provision that your restricted driver license remains in good standing with the DHSMV, Division of Driver Licenses is required.
- Treatment for alcohol and/or drug problems may be required.
- Releases of information will be required for community agencies, hospitals, or any organization or person who provided services.
- Compliance with random drug testing is required.
- Applicants must complete the Level II DUI program.
- Must demonstrate a significant change in lifestyle and behavior.
Fees as of 2017:
- Screening eligibility – $25.00 (cash only)
- Registration fee- $288.50 (cash only)
- Supervision fees-$55.00 per visit
- Chemical test- $66.00-$254.00 per test (conducted randomly)
- Driving record & FDLE records – $39.00 (must be completed every six months)
- Annual State Fee- $15.00 (one per year)
- Transfer to another county- $25.00
- Missed appointment/reschedule – $55.00 per appointment
- Rescheduled missed SSS intake $55.00-$75.00
- Appeal – $75.00-$150.00
- Ignition Interlock download fee – $10.00
FLORIDA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE 15A-10.029 -Special Supervision Services (SSS) and Statutory Eligibility.
- (1) All administrative rules except Rules 15A-10.003, 15A-10.009, 15A-10.015, 15A-10.016, 15A-10.018, 15A-10.019, 15A-10.023, 15A-10.024, 15A-10.025, 15A-10.026, 15A-10.027 and 15A-10.028, F.A.C., shall apply to the administration of the Special Supervision Services (SSS).
- (2) Each potential applicant for the SSS shall be advised of the eligibility requirements and provided with the Information Sheet Special Supervision Services, HSMV Form 77012, incorporated by reference in Rule 15A-10.043, F.A.C.
- (3) The DUI program shall advise each person applying for the SSS of all program rules and regulations prior to accepting the program registration fee from the applicant. A Screening Form, HSMV Form 77013, incorporated by reference in Rule 15A-10.043, F.A.C., shall be completed by each applicant which will document relevant background information related to eligibility requirements.
- (4) Once eligibility for application is determined by the DUI program, the applicant shall pay the Department approved registration fee. Applicants may apply thirty (30) days prior to meeting the required abstinence to provide them the opportunity to secure the restricted license in a more timely manner. The responsibility for obtaining a driver history record as well as an arrest record shall be the responsibility of the DUI program upon receipt of the registration fee.
- (5) No person shall be eligible for reinstatement in the Special Supervision Services who has previously been reinstated and had that reinstatement canceled due to current substance abuse. In such a situation the entire statutory revocation period must be served.
- Rulemaking Authority 322.02, 322.292 FS. Law Implemented 322.271, 322.292 FS. History–New 1-4-95, Amended 3-4-97.
For more information please visit:
Copyright © 2018, The Law Office of Lee Meadows, LLC.